Alex's WMD

Want to show off what you've done to your rig? or have a custom project to show? Post it up here!

Re: Alex's WMD

Postby 06lux on Tue, 26 Mar 2013 8:03 +0000

Yeah i recon.
FOR SALE
complete standard suspension
2x 265/70/15 general grabber at2 (not on rims)
P
06lux

Postby white_hilux on Wed, 27 Mar 2013 5:28 +0000

ajh wrote:hadnt thought of it like that..

so you reckon go full height canopy with RTT mounted on top?

if i ever redid mine I would have made the top of the rtt level with the top of the roof. having the rtt sitting above increases fuel use. it also increases the centre of gravity. mine is also a little too high as the annex underneath only just touches the ground. just my opinion
Last edited by white_hilux on Wed, 27 Mar 2013 5:35 +0000, edited 1 time in total.
Ben
2006 SR Extra Cab
2" lift, 32" Bighorns, F & R Diff Locked, Rock sliders, TJM Bullbar and Winch

Even if you are on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there
white_hilux

Postby ajh on Wed, 27 Mar 2013 5:34 +0000

white_hilux wrote:
ajh wrote:hadnt thought of it like that..

so you reckon go full height canopy with RTT mounted on top?

if i ever redid mine I would have made the top of the rtt level with the top of the roof. having the rtt sitting above increases fuel use. just my opinion

What are the dimensions of your tray?
ajh

Postby white_hilux on Wed, 27 Mar 2013 5:36 +0000

1800 x 2100
Ben
2006 SR Extra Cab
2" lift, 32" Bighorns, F & R Diff Locked, Rock sliders, TJM Bullbar and Winch

Even if you are on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there
white_hilux

Postby Toylux4 on Wed, 27 Mar 2013 5:44 +0000

I made a frame to mount my RTT over my tub. The ladder and 100mm of the tent sit above the roof
With it on the back of the ute it goes from 11 liters per hundred to 13 liters per hundred
I am in the process of changing the design so it sits lower than the roof and it can be lifted up so the bottom of the tent higher than your head when you pull up to camp.
Toylux4

Postby ajh on Wed, 27 Mar 2013 5:53 +0000

wow, i didnt think the fuel increase would be that bigwith it sitting so low.

i like your idea of making it so you can make it higher once you get to camp. i had thought of that but have no idea how to achieve it.
ajh

Postby ajh on Wed, 27 Mar 2013 5:55 +0000

white_hilux wrote:1800 x 2100

my tray is tiny compared to that.. im scared that if i leave the canopy lower than the roof ill regret it because of constricting the canopy space.
ajh

Postby kyle300exc on Wed, 27 Mar 2013 6:14 +0000

Even with 1500ml in length you are still going to have more room than a tub and canopy. IMO Just needs planning on the most compact way to set it up and then rearranging till you get it the way you want. I get the lower RTT height maybe a compromise between both heights would be best and just a wind deflector like Brusa has to reduce drag/fuel consumption.
2 litres/ 100ks, that's just a little headwind.
Kyle

Never, under any circumstances, take a sleeping pill and a laxative on the same night.
kyle300exc

Postby D4D luxy on Wed, 27 Mar 2013 9:53 +0000

Ill definitely be making mine roof height or lower. Not only for cog and fuel consumption reasons but I reckon wen they're up top it looks stupid. My opinion only tho
D4D luxy

Postby Jack S on Wed, 27 Mar 2013 10:01 +0000

Don't go over roof height with overall height including the tent, looks stupid and economy suffers.
I had plans ready if I kept the lux to get a RTT rack setup, with tent on top and enough room underneath for for containers, also incorporate a slide for fridge...
Was going to have canvas cover made.
Dot ask me for the plans as I have no idea where to look either!

Even though its a small tray you can still fit heaps on the back, it all comes down to design and a little extra thought!
Heaps of ideas out there, just a matter of looking and having a think or what you want, have you plan on storing and how much room you need/where to put everything!
Jack S

Postby Skog07 on Wed, 27 Mar 2013 11:18 +0000

Alex. Id fab up a cheap frame frame first that will sit on your tray make it full height first with the RTT. See what space you have underneath and if your gear fits then cut it down to a height that will sit the RTT below the roofline than see how much available space you have underneath. When you design your jack off canopy you need to think how your going to use it in an everyday situation. Will it be on the vehicle all the time, do you need to carry the rtt all the time. Whilst putting the rtt above the roofline might raise the cog and increase fuel consumption it only a minor factor in the overall picture. You can remove an rtt for everyday driving. You will kick yourself if you get the canopy wrong.
Skog07

Postby Hilux Max on Wed, 27 Mar 2013 12:34 +0000

Exactly what Mark said.

Refer to pic below which Parr posted in his thread. same style tray. Make a frame and get it lined with something....

I think full height if its staying on the tray all the time, if its only going on the tray when your going on trips away, then make it lower to suit RTT...

Hilux Max
Valued Contributor

Postby cizzink11 on Wed, 27 Mar 2013 1:11 +0000

Maybe fab up 2 C channels. One inside the other so uou can slide it up and lock it at top setting via 2 bolts per channel to make it sturdy. Bolting to the bottom or sides of the tray? Could possibly somehow throw in some gas struts in there to assist with lifting the tent to desired height.
cizzink11

Postby Skog07 on Wed, 27 Mar 2013 1:23 +0000

Hilux Max wrote:Exactly what Mark said.

Refer to pic below which Parr posted in his thread. same style tray. Make a frame and get it lined with something....

I think full height if its staying on the tray all the time, if its only going on the tray when your going on trips away, then make it lower to suit RTT...

Id still keep it at full height regardless, you have no idea how handy having a full height door is. You dont really need a awning just open the door, youve got shelter from the rain and sun. You can mount lights into the door when open which gives illumination around the tray area. One thing that turns me off having lower doors is less shelter around the side of the canopy and you could bump your head on things along with the RTT. The beauty off being jack off is when you get to your destination it can be removed and the vehicle restored back to its original shape. I wouldnt plan on doing extreme stuff with the setup on anyway as all that extra weight puts alot more strain on the drivetrain.
Alby made a frame that sits his RTT on and keeps it below the roof line which he uses for quick overnighter camping trips and takes his Full Gull canopy for extended trips. Pretty smart setup which is why I was surprised as Alby isnt that smart.
Skog07

Postby amitch888 on Wed, 27 Mar 2013 1:36 +0000

:lol: :lol: :lol:
FCCW
Mitch's Build

Education is what you get when you read the fine print, experience is what you get when you don't.
amitch888

Postby kyle300exc on Wed, 27 Mar 2013 2:43 +0000

Think he is modifying it with a dog/goat cage for Neville
Kyle

Never, under any circumstances, take a sleeping pill and a laxative on the same night.
kyle300exc

Postby dute on Wed, 27 Mar 2013 2:58 +0000

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
FCCW

inside Dute's black hole

"Age and treachery will ALWAYS overcome youth and skill"
dute

Postby Hilux Max on Wed, 27 Mar 2013 5:05 +0000

Hilux Max
Valued Contributor

Postby aandy on Wed, 27 Mar 2013 5:18 +0000

Mine is obviously a tub not a tray, but one thing no one mentioned is rear view, when mine is packed up I can still see out the back and use the rear view mirror. We are minimalist travellers and everything fits under the tonneau, yes I still keep a full case cold and carry a Nespresso machine.
Also whatever you make needs to go on and off easy, mine slides onto timber rails below my deck.

aandy

Postby ajh on Tue, 09 Apr 2013 9:14 +0000

Cheers for all the feed back guys I have started looking into getting a new tray built to suit a canopy a bit better and I will be advertising my current tray for sale shortly if anyone is interested please pm me
I have still been racking my mind over the canopy not sure what height it will come yet. I don't want to spend all that money and regret what I have bought.
kyle300exc wrote:Even with 1500ml in length you are still going to have more room than a tub and canopy. IMO Just needs planning on the most compact way to set it up and then rearranging till you get it the way you want. I get the lower RTT height maybe a compromise between both heights would be best and just a wind deflector like Brusa has to reduce drag/fuel consumption.
2 litres/ 100ks, that's just a little headwind.

Mate that sounds good and ATM is my more favoured option. I think a decision I still need to make is how often it will be on the car. Because if I'm going to have it on often then I might as well go full height because it will look silly driving around without the rtt on and a half height canopy.

D4D luxy wrote:Ill definitely be making mine roof height or lower. Not only for cog and fuel consumption reasons but I reckon wen they're up top it looks stupid. My opinion only tho

Mate what about the day to day functionality of the canopy?

Jack S wrote:Don't go over roof height with overall height including the tent, looks stupid and economy suffers.
I had plans ready if I kept the lux to get a RTT rack setup, with tent on top and enough room underneath for for containers, also incorporate a slide for fridge...
Was going to have canvas cover made.
Dot ask me for the plans as I have no idea where to look either!

Even though its a small tray you can still fit heaps on the back, it all comes down to design and a little extra thought!
Heaps of ideas out there, just a matter of looking and having a think or what you want, have you plan on storing and how much room you need/where to put everything!

Found those plans yet?haha

Skog07 wrote:Alex. Id fab up a cheap frame frame first that will sit on your tray make it full height first with the RTT. See what space you have underneath and if your gear fits then cut it down to a height that will sit the RTT below the roofline than see how much available space you have underneath. When you design your jack off canopy you need to think how your going to use it in an everyday situation. Will it be on the vehicle all the time, do you need to carry the rtt all the time. Whilst putting the rtt above the roofline might raise the cog and increase fuel consumption it only a minor factor in the overall picture. You can remove an rtt for everyday driving. You will kick yourself if you get the canopy wrong.

ATM moment can't see it being used in an everyday situation I guess it will get my golf clubs off my back seat though.
But in saying that I don't want to change my mind later down the track and end up having a half sized canopy living on my ute instead of a full sized. I do like the look of the canvas and vinyl canopies but I feel the alloy ones are better. Need to have a good look at a heap of different ones in the flesh

Hilux Max wrote:Exactly what Mark said.

Just worried about in 3 years time if I decide that I want a canopy to stay on all the time..

cizzink11 wrote:Maybe fab up 2 C channels. One inside the other so uou can slide it up and lock it at top setting via 2 bolts per channel to make it sturdy. Bolting to the bottom or sides of the tray? Could possibly somehow throw in some gas struts in there to assist with lifting the tent to desired height.

Sounds like a good idea for if I get a canopy that makes the rtt sit below roof height, so when in camp the rtt can be raised so annex can be attached properly

After writing all this I am really starting to lean towards full height. But then I know I will only be using it for trips away. So it's kinda like I don't need full height...

So many benefits of full height

More room
looks good without rtt
Shelter under the doors.
Rtt sits at better height

Decisions decisions
ajh

PreviousNext

Return to Member Build Ups