Alex's WMD

Want to show off what you've done to your rig? or have a custom project to show? Post it up here!

Re: Jack's Lux- lift is on!

Postby Hilux Max on Tue, 10 Aug 2010 3:47 +0000

we pay you with love brendan :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

no, not a master.....just an enthusiast......maybe slightly obsessive-compulsive :?

i second what Shane said.....the cv boots look like they are touching pretty hard......mine "just" touc/miss at rest.

Jack, in my opinion, id recommend you go and find some mounds and launch the front end of trhe hilux of it abit.....im not saying do a Colin McRae and get 6ft of air under the front - that'd settle more than the front suspension.

but you need to get that front end cycling up and down moderately to get the suspension settled.

once thats done, id reccomend you go get another alignment and the double check your cv boots and shaft angle.

i was told to drive my hilux for a week with abit of suspension cycling then alignment....you'll find aS everything settles the alignment might change slightly.....

and what are you thinking getting a big lift with cheese cutters? :twisted:

just kidding...on your way mate.
Hilux Max
Valued Contributor

Postby Jack S on Tue, 10 Aug 2010 4:19 +0000

well bit confused with why my cv's are on such an angle, like its the same Cal 3" kit that many other people on this forum are using, and none of which have such an angle :( .

only said 'master' because you know a great deal about these lux's and what mods are out there, thats all ;) .

I will have some time tomorrow, ill do bit of driving round the padocks, and over some mounds etc etc and try to settle it a little. But if it doesnt settle too much, do you reccomend a drop-diff kit or what.....?

Yes i know the tyres are small but they will be increased very shortly i hope!
Jack S

Postby Hilux Max on Tue, 10 Aug 2010 4:21 +0000

It'll settle....it should anyway, how much I dont know......

Did you by any chance order stronger than normal springs to accomadate a winch without having a winch on? that might make a difference.
Hilux Max
Valued Contributor

Postby 9W6VX on Tue, 10 Aug 2010 4:22 +0000

No Colin McRae stuff Jack ........... when you drive around the paddocks............ ;) ;)
Cheers

Brendon
73 de 9W6VX
9W6VX
Site Admin

Jack's Lux- lift is on!

Postby KTM525EXC on Tue, 10 Aug 2010 4:31 +0000

Jack S wrote:
Well the kit is from Cal-Offroad, and as i believe there Dobinson spring. But hopefully it goes down otherwise i may have to get a drop-diff kit :(

So how much has your mods cost so far? and how much are you planing to spend on the lux? Could you give us a total so we can lock it away in memory bank ;)
Nah all jokes aside the lux is looking good m8

By memory when I was shopping around for my 3" lift I considered the cal lift and they used ome springs, so if that's true you can almost guarantee they will sag a bit.

Cheers Troy
D4D THE WAY TO BE!!!!!!
KTM if it's not orange, its a lemon
KTM's Kick Arse Buildup
KTM525EXC

Postby Jack S on Tue, 10 Aug 2010 4:38 +0000

mmaaxx wrote:It'll settle....it should anyway, how much I dont know......

Did you by any chance order stronger than normal springs to accomadate a winch without having a winch on? that might make a difference.

Max i believe you know a great deal, and i reakon just about everyone on this forum will vouch for that one :!:

Na i didnt ask for stronger springs, there just the normal rated ones i believe, didnt ask for anything different.... nothing should be different from the rest of the blokes on here with the kit!

Now i am feeling worried that it wont settle as much as i am hopeing.. :? :( :shock:
Jack S

Postby Hilux Max on Tue, 10 Aug 2010 4:41 +0000

Dont stress....go slam her through some "moghuls" yor tyres wont rub since they are reasonably small so you wont have to worry bout that.........give it a week and report back.
Hilux Max
Valued Contributor

Postby Jack S on Tue, 10 Aug 2010 4:51 +0000

right ill do some flexing and try to get the suspension cycling tomorrow. Plus next week ill be driving to and from dubbo which is about 500km round trip which might settle everything a little aswell!
Plus my tyres arent small :evil: :evil: there 255/70R16 :lol: :lol:

So what should be next, some bar work or new tyres? :?

but guess i better get the suspension under control first...
Jack S

Postby Jack S on Tue, 10 Aug 2010 6:57 +0000

Well just been outside having a better look at the inner boots!
The passenger side is just touching and the drivers side isnt :? .
Anyway here are pictures of both sides anyway, just of the inner boot...

Drivers Side:

Passenger Side:

Jack S

Postby Jack S on Tue, 10 Aug 2010 7:22 +0000

Jack S wrote:Well thought it would be about time i made my build. Ive been on here for a while, and finally the lux is going to get bit of a make over in the comming weeks/months! :D As Max is going to think, about bloody time :mrgreen: .

The hilux is a 2007 turbo deisel 4x4 dual cab!

Well i bought the lux off my grandparents little while ago but havent done anything to it. They had a steel tray and toyota bar already on it. The tray is great yet i plan on getting a tube head board as it has a square on at the moment. The bar will also be heading off shortly in place of a tjm bar with scrub bars and side steps.....

The hilux is mainly used for driving to and from work yet i go off-road when i can, so i guess like everybody i am looking for a great all rounder!

The things that ive done:
* Well i fitted a new GME 3220 and AE4705 antenna (6db) a few weeks ago.
* Upgraded the speakers to Apline type 'S' all round.
* Ultimates Sprint Booster.
* Widows tinted.
* 225/70R16 Goodyear Dura-Trac's.
* Seat belt beeper mod.
* Constant power to windows mod.

Things i got planned:
* Well i ordered a 3" billie kit from Cal Offroad the other day. Everything turned up yesterday except for a leaf spring, which the company (TNT) dont even know where it got too :o :evil: . As you could expect i was a very angry man because i had planned to fit it today. I just couldnt understand how they can make a 30kg leaf go missing, it aint the easiest thing to loose i would think. Now it will be fitted soon as they find my other leaf, when ever that may be! :cry: .
* 265/75R16 BGF KM2's, not sure on wheels yet.
* TJM delux bar with scrub bars and side steps.
* Lightforce XGT's.
* Rear ARB locker with compressor.
* Power module.
* Upgrading stock headlights to HID bulbs.
* Alpine head-unit and amp.
* And a few other things here and there (i could make a never ending list).
* Skog's Diff Breathers.
* Angel eye headlights.

Jack
Jack S

Postby Skog07 on Tue, 10 Aug 2010 9:43 +0000

Jack.
She will be right mate.
Just quicky looking at the springs they look to be 17mm wire diameter. and like Troy said.. Very OME 884 or 885 in looks which means they may sag a little.
If you know how to use a vernier caliper and could let us all know the wire diameter ( which can be measured whilst in the vehicle) along with free length of spring if you measured it before you installed it.
Cheers
Mark
Skog07

Postby KTM525EXC on Tue, 10 Aug 2010 11:40 +0000

Jack
I have a 1'' diff drop that i had in the 4sale section (deleated now) that hasnt sold. never been used only dry fitted to my lux and im selling for $130 + freight. nearly half what i payed. this would solve your cv issue if your worried about it
Pm if your intrested

cheers Troy
D4D THE WAY TO BE!!!!!!
KTM's Kick Arse Buildup
KTM525EXC

Postby Jack S on Wed, 11 Aug 2010 5:54 +0000

Skog07 wrote:Jack.
She will be right mate.
Just quicky looking at the springs they look to be 17mm wire diameter. and like Troy said.. Very OME 884 or 885 in looks which means they may sag a little.
If you know how to use a vernier caliper and could let us all know the wire diameter ( which can be measured whilst in the vehicle) along with free length of spring if you measured it before you installed it.
Cheers
Mark

Yea they should settle a little to help the cv's, i got some tips off Max of how to do this....
Yes i know how to you a capiper but i dont have one at home, all my tools stay at work, and i didnt think about measuring the free length of the spring :? :( .

KTM525EXC wrote:Jack
I have a 1'' diff drop that i had in the 4sale section (deleated now) that hasnt sold. never been used only dry fitted to my lux and im selling for $130 + freight. nearly half what i payed. this would solve your cv issue if your worried about it
Pm if your intrested

cheers Troy

Thanks for that heaps Troy, give me about a month and ill see how it looks than, if still on too much of an angle and you still got the kit, it might work out well.

Jack
Jack S

Postby KTM525EXC on Wed, 11 Aug 2010 11:24 +0000

no worries ;)
D4D THE WAY TO BE!!!!!!
KTM's Kick Arse Buildup
KTM525EXC

Postby GreenHilux Guy on Wed, 11 Aug 2010 12:41 +0000

Jack,

the end result looks very similar to what i experienced when I had the Cal 3" kit fitted on my Green Truck.

I opted for longer heavy duty extended coils as well and the final result was more then 100 mm's lifted.

It looked great but drove like rubbish!

I couldn't drive over the lines in a road without bouncing off it there was so little movement.

It looks like your shocks are set on the highest of the 3 positions.

If it doesnt settle get your mechanic to lower it to the middle seat on the strut body and that will make it much more comfortable and also ease the strain on those CV boots.

Id hit those welds on your arms with some rust buster as well and repaint them matt black just to stop some of that rust spreading. My old truck looked like that after a few beach trips and it just kept spreading and getting worse across all the welds in the chassis and suspension parts.
GreenHilux Guy

Postby Jack S on Wed, 11 Aug 2010 1:16 +0000

Right oh thanks for the tips/info GHG! very hand and useful.... :D

As to do with the postions on the shocks, there were only 2 machines grooves into mine and i left them on the lowest setting as Cal as thats the 3" groove..
Jack S

Postby rodw on Wed, 11 Aug 2010 3:34 +0000

Jack, good to see this is under way. You are not the only one to have problems with the CV boots and the Cal Offroad kit. one of my VMN clients is on his 3rd set of boots since buying a new car the week before Xmas!

Here is an old thread where list some options for high clearance boot options

http://www.newhilux.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=3536

I'd give the Mechatech ones a go first seeing they are available in Australia...
rodw

Postby Jack S on Wed, 11 Aug 2010 3:49 +0000

Thanks Rod, will see how everything goes over the next month and re-inspect, than make decision on what i should do... weather that be a drop-diff kit, new cv's or dropping the suspension with the cir-clip down a level..... Just have to wait till the suspension settles and sags than make mind up...
Jack S

Postby Shaker on Wed, 11 Aug 2010 4:52 +0000

Yes. For something that is only a 2" lift, those CV angles aren't right???? Even if they were to settle...

Whats going on there? I have 19mm wire Dobbinsons unfitted as yet and I doubt it'll drop much at all. This is only 2" right?

Shaker.
Shaker

Postby Billy G on Wed, 11 Aug 2010 5:11 +0000

Gday Jack.

was just wondering how much the lift kit cost?

Cheers Billy .
Billy G

PreviousNext

Return to Member Build Ups