WARM UP

General discussion of basically anything related to the 2015> Hilux

WARM UP

Postby 241steve on Wed, 08 May 2024 8:55 +0000

Question does a new Hilux need to warm up for a certian period of time before driving off from a cold start. What does the owners manual say?
241steve

Re: WARM UP

Postby Rob_Wood on Wed, 08 May 2024 9:25 +0000

241steve wrote:Question does a new Hilux need to warm up for a certian period of time before driving off from a cold start. What does the owners manual say?

It's wise to allow ANY vehicle to "warm up" before driving off.
We use the term "warm up", however the details behind this is more allowing the engine to run for a while without load in an effort to allow the oil to circulate throughout the engine in an effort to lubricate it as much as possible before putting any load on the engine. Bringing the engine up to normal running temperature before driving off although good is not as critical as lubricating as many components as is possible.
Rob_Wood

Postby 241steve on Thu, 09 May 2024 6:42 +0000

What does it say in the book is what I was interested in? Google says 30 seconds everything Ive owned this century (petrol) its never hurt to start it put it in gear and drive off.
241steve

Postby Rob_Wood on Thu, 09 May 2024 9:00 +0000

241steve wrote:What does it say in the book is what I was interested in? Google says 30 seconds everything Ive owned this century (petrol) its never hurt to start it put it in gear and drive off.

I would imagine that "what is said in the book" will likely vary from year to year as changing technologies in oil viscosity and component manufacture changes.
What I said above is basically true for ANY engine, diesel or petrol, and the length of time "REQUIRED" will vary dependent on many factors that although they include things like oil viscosity, component manufacture processes, they are not limited to these things alone as things like how a previous owner might have looked after an engine will vary, even how different mechanics do their services will vary, some will use cheap shyt oils for example.
30 seconds is not bad, I'd suggest if you're worried about it, then a full minute would be beneficial, however I don't know of any specific figure. Doing a warm up versus not doing a warm up while benefitting the long term lifespan of an engine, I'm only guessing here because I don't know of any actual scientific tests that have been carried out for this, "MIGHT" make the difference between a million kilometre engine and (for arguments sake) a 900 thousand km engine. Just guessing of course.
If Toyota is actually interested in running such a test then I'd be happy to volunteer for the job, but to do it properly it would have to be done with a strict set of criterion upon which accurate measurements could be recorded throughout the entire testing regime.
Things like 2 identical vehicles driven by the same person throughout the testing period, driven in the same way and through the same conditions, serviced exactly the same the only different between the 2 being whether they are "prewarmed" before driving off.
It'd be really interesting to be involved in something like this.
I tend to prewarm during the colder months quite often, not so much in summer. Even this kind of "individual personal preferences" would need to be recorded in any proper testing that is done.
Rob_Wood

Postby 241steve on Thu, 09 May 2024 9:16 +0000

I was thinking get a new lux with a 3 inch exhaust dont want to upset the niebour I often leave at 4,30 am is why I ask and a turn out I was working with last week annoyned me with his 20 minuates warm up time of a company car of course the book for that car isn't there its nothiing to do with me apart from him not listening if the engine wasnt running he would hear what hes being told not ring me later and ask again.
When I say thinking about upgrading that is a maybe as Im currently out of things to complian about with my lux Ill probably keep it for another year.
241steve

Postby Bushwalker8 on Thu, 09 May 2024 9:49 +0000

There's nothing in the manual. The only reference to warming up is if you were going to do a manual DPF regen.
The engine is going to warm up quicker if you drive moderately, less time cold is less wear.....and less annoying the crap out of everyone else.
Bushwalker8

Postby Gipsy on Fri, 10 May 2024 6:31 +0000

I would think a short 'warm-up' is merely to circulate the oil, 30 seconds should do it, then drive a little carefully until the engine is up to temp. That's about all I need to put my seatbelt on, select reverse and back out of my driveway. Now if you're driving something with a Rolls Royce Merlin engine with a supercharged V12 I might take a little longer :lol:

Anyone noticed that the posting dates are corrupted?
Cheers Gipsy :D although I'm sure somebody will challenge that :lol: even Einstein wasn't certain of his theories.
My 2013 auto D4D DC SR5, prefilter, 3" exhaust and Chip with egt probe, stock SR5 rims with Toyo Open Country AT2 265/65R/17's
Gipsy

Return to General Discussion