petrol/ diesel

General discussion of basically anything Hilux related

petrol/ diesel

Postby marashkar on Wed, 16 Jul 2008 12:18 +0000

about to order sr5 dual cab what should i do petrol or diesel help please
marashkar

petrol/ diesel

Postby Alby on Wed, 16 Jul 2008 12:41 +0000

Depends on what you are using it for but I think the resale value will be better on the diesel??

Alby
On the internet you can be anything you want. It is strange that so many people choose to be stupid!
Alby

petrol/ diesel

Postby david allan on Wed, 16 Jul 2008 2:17 +0000

- only risk with diesel is that if you pick up bad fuel, then you are buggered, while with petrol its not as big deal as the diesels, thats what im told
david allan

petrol/ diesel

Postby Rich on Wed, 16 Jul 2008 5:02 +0000

That's correct David.
Also, if you intend to get an Auto, consider the petrol has a 5 speed transmission.

This isn't one of those "ask people to compare petrol and diesel threads and see if we can get a debate going and then stand back and watch" threads, is it?

Rich.
Rich

petrol/ diesel

Postby jackolux on Wed, 16 Jul 2008 5:23 +0000

Take a look at the price of diesel and crunch some numbers and see what ya come up with .

Whats the price difference between the 2 different motors

I have aD4D and my mates have diesel 4x4's of all different makes and we are not so sure its a good idea anymore

My recent trip to the Simpson cost me $28.94 pre 100 K , now that ain't peanuts

I'm not saying get the petrol just do some sums and consider gas , but do all ya research before ya order
jackolux

petrol/ diesel

Postby 10K on Wed, 16 Jul 2008 5:43 +0000

As a massive fan of diesels I would recomend a diesel.

However considering the price difference between petrol and diesel at the moment, and the premium you pay for the diesel at the time of purchase I would seriously consider a petrol at the moment.

As mentioned the 5 speed auto on the Petrol model is a great option also.

I have just read a bunch of reports/articles from arund the world on the current high diesel prices. It would seem that this is just the beginning of a lot of heartache... the main reason seems to be the large increase in demand for jet fuel, which is made from the same portion of crude that diesel is... this means less diesel production which means higher prices as there is not enough supply to meet demand.

More pain ahead at the pump for diesel owners... you can't say at the moment that they are more economical. They are not.
The bad fuel issue is also real, I know first hand.

Go and test drive both, see what you like better, then buy that.

Many of the old advantages of a diesel are fast becoming redundant... reliability, economy, range, resale etc

The 4.0L petrol does drive very nicely.

If your not going to go touring in the truck where you need a long range, I would lean towards the petrol... can't believe I just said that!!

Hope this helps!!

Cheers
Matt

petrol/ diesel

Postby marashkar on Wed, 16 Jul 2008 6:08 +0000

no this isn't one of those threads. iwork in a heavy earthmoving envoriment where diesels rule. but i have a v6 kluger and think i will miss the petrol power. the diesel 4 speed auto is a real problem. it is being ordered with a long range tank so distance on a tank is not an issue and the comparison on price v distance is so close it is almost irrelevant but this is the sort of discussion i am looking for so thanks everybody
marashkar

petrol/ diesel

Postby Tonym on Wed, 16 Jul 2008 6:20 +0000

I would say get a diesel auto. I have one and am very happy with the way it drives but I think you have to get used to how a diesel drives if you have always driven a petrol. I wouldn't say the advantages of a diesel are becoming redundant though.
They are still very reliable and use less fuel and have greater range, that hasn't changed. If you do 500k at 13l/100 for a petrol that equates to $104 @1.60 a liter for unleaded or $85 @1.90 for diesel, all approx of course and just a rough calculation, you can do more precise calcs if you have better info and some diesels will get worse economy and some petrols may get better fuel economy but I would still get the diesel. JMHO. By the way a 5 speed auto would be nice in the diesel but the 4 speed is not a bad gearbox and it is mated well to the 3L D4D diesel.
Tonym

petrol/ diesel

Postby jackolux on Wed, 16 Jul 2008 6:43 +0000

Here's the numbers from my Simpson trip

Total K's 5600
Fuel used 827 lt
Lt X 100 K 14.76

Total $$$ on Diesel $1620-64
The Lux weighed 2880kg ready to go
What a V6 petrol would do with the same load ,
I dont know
jackolux

petrol/ diesel

Postby troyco on Wed, 16 Jul 2008 7:30 +0000

I have a manual turbo deisel and on a recent trip to the cape with a great deal of slow 4x4 work in bush, sand and rough dirt roads fully loaded I completed 7500 K's and the cost was $1545.00 on fuel which is $4.85 a K which is more than jackolux but, what cost the awesome time /places you visit??
Cheers
Troyco
troyco

petrol/ diesel

Postby jurasic on Wed, 16 Jul 2008 8:58 +0000

Petrol works for my V6 .. grunt and go. You always have the gas option at your fingertips.. half the price of what you pay normally.
I pull a 1.8 tonne caravan and still it only uses 16lts per 100klms. My Hilux work Diesel uses more than that pulling a loaded trailer.
Love the petrol....
:evil:
jurasic

petrol/ diesel

Postby berniecam on Wed, 16 Jul 2008 9:34 +0000

Just a few things to think about & my personal views.Auto / manual. After doing more than one million kilometers in Hiluxs over25 years, all manual gearboxs,Iwould not have an auto as a gift,they use more power off the engine,so even more fuel,many more hi tech parts to go wrong,not easily repaired in the out back,not as good resale value,in city driving they are great,in sedans.In 4wd's a waste of added expense in the first place,as for engine braking totally unreilable. :roll: Diesel/petrol. Yes at the moment at first glance the Diesel does not look too rosy at the bowser,however in time I am quite convinced that as Diesel gets monitored the same way unleaded petrol does it will end up the same price and we will be glad we bought Diesels. As for petrols out selling diesels not a hope in hell,just look at the moment how many major car makers are starting to release or improve their diesel common rail turbo sedans,they cannot all be wrong. Even if you buy a petrol vehicle, you will still pay for DIESEL.-Your petrol was delivered to your servo by a diesel truck,your food was delivered to your supermarket,by a diesel truck,our kids go to school by a diesel bus-many more to think about, we will all pay for diesel for a very long time yet. Do you think , MACK, CUMMINGS, and CATERPILLAR are about to go solar,or start using PETROL. Long live the mighty DIESEL.:) :) :)
berniecam

petrol/ diesel

Postby Matthew on Wed, 16 Jul 2008 10:38 +0000

If you are going to do a fair bit of 4 wheeling then I would recommend a manual diesel. Can't beat the engine braking and reliability through water. I am on my third diesel hilux so I guess I am a bit biased.
Matthew

petrol/ diesel

Postby jackolux on Wed, 16 Jul 2008 5:15 +0000

My D4D Lux is the first auto 4X4 I have had . I live in West Gippsland so the High Country is my back yard and play ground.

The auto is magic, on really steep rocky stuff its the best . In sand in the Simpson ya cant beat a auto.

Yeah they use more fuel , Toyota will tell ya 1 lt a 100K's more ,but I cant get anywhere near what Toyota claim , bigger wheels , bull bar, winch all that crap doesn't help

The 3 mates that I do most of my 4x4ing with all reckon they are getting auto's next time after seeing what mine is like and having a drive in the bush ,but as for diesel or petrol ,they are all looking very closely at petrol

Jacko
jackolux

petrol/ diesel

Postby jackolux on Wed, 16 Jul 2008 9:54 +0000

( Even if you buy a petrol vehicle, you will still pay for DIESEL.-Your petrol was delivered to your servo by a diesel truck,your food was delivered to your supermarket,by a diesel truck,our kids go to school by a diesel bus-many more to think about, we will all pay for diesel for a very long time yet. Do you think , MACK, CUMMINGS, and CATERPILLAR are about to go solar,or start using PETROL. Long live the mighty DIESEL.)

I'm not sure what you are trying to say with the above statement , what has that got to do with choosing a petrol or diesel vehicle ,

It doesn't matter if we fly,drive or ride a horse we all pay
Jacko
jackolux

petrol/ diesel

Postby Lately Lux on Thu, 17 Jul 2008 12:24 +0000

I ave always been a deisel man, until my last 2 utes. The extra power is great, and the distance you can travel with a long range tank is pretty comparable. Also, medium term (7 - 10 years) total ownership costs are cheaper for a petrol, taking into account purchase, fuel, maintenance tec. For the price difference you could buy the petrol, fit an aftermarket supercharger that will give you more torque than a turbo V8 cruiser. They will also improve your fuel economy as long as you don't increase the weight of your right boot.

The whole diesel are better in water is now a moot point, they have as much electronic componentry as a petrol now. They run computers and sensors under the bonnet, and the petrol spark delivery systems are pretty well sealed. Just have a look at my profile, the last pic is of the weekend when I submerged the 'Lux in fresh water. The water splashed over the roof, and was over bonnet height driving through.

Yes european car manufacturers ae going deisel lately, but some truck and machinery manufacturers are going towards natural gas.

I still have nothing against diesel, I just won't be buying another one in the foreseable future.

Brett
Lately Lux

petrol/ diesel

Postby Redlux on Thu, 17 Jul 2008 8:19 +0000

I vote for the diesel.
It is fast enough, and wins the economy battle (don't forget the petrol needs premium).
Mine is the 4speed auto, and I can't see why they should move to a 5 speed - the 4 speed works great.
Also, if the world runs out of oil, there are plenty of options for diesel.
Redlux

petrol/ diesel

Postby berniecam on Thu, 17 Jul 2008 8:27 +0000

Redlux.Very well said-spot on 100%.CHEERS;) ;) ;)
berniecam

petrol/ diesel

Postby donnersV6 on Thu, 17 Jul 2008 8:43 +0000

If the world runs out of oil we have bigger problems than whether our Hilux's are petrol or diesel.

donnersV6

petrol/ diesel

Postby WTF on Thu, 17 Jul 2008 8:45 +0000

After having an older 83 Hilux with 98 2.8 diesel followed by 2004 3.4V6 petrol and now 07 D4D, all manual, I would still prefer the deisel in manual. I do miss the petrol power, but in the tougher terrain slow speed stuff, I personally like the deisel.

Comments about economy, deisel is more economical in amount of fuel used, but the end costs per KM are getting closer. But I like the fact the cost for deisel fluctuates less, so not worried that if I don't fuel up on the way to work that is will be 10c/l more on the way home.

Bit of personal preference I think will always colour peoples comments.

Cheers and you will enjoy whatever you buy.

Rob.
WTF

Next

Return to General Discussion