TJM XGS 2" Lift

TJM XGS 2" Lift

Postby Marneus on Tue, 07 Jul 2009 2:55 +0000

Hi all,
Has anyone got ant experience with TJM XGS suspension? I've recently found a dealer in the UK that is the sole dealer for TJM in the UK & I can get a 2" lift all round for about £700, this is roughly £200 less than the OME 2" lift.

I was just wondering if anyone knows anything about this as I've nearly got the cash together for the suspension & want to get the best deal (Importing from Oz went out the window as soon as I found out the Duty & VAT costs :o :shock: )

Cheers

Jamie
Marneus

Re: TJM XGS 2" Lift

Postby rodw on Tue, 07 Jul 2009 4:46 +0000

TJM is a competitor to ARB over here except thet their stores do fabrication and custom work whereas ARB just sell their own product. When I was shopping for suspension, I nearly went with TJM but opted for the Tough Dog adjustables which were a bit more expensive after the TJM salesman admitted they were better than their own brand. I did not want to go with ARB after numerous reports of sagging on this forum.

Go with the TJM at that price you can't go wrong. Just take the time to get the right rear leaf spring for your application. There is usually three types: Comfort ride - soft 100 kg constant load; Medium Ride - 300 kg constant load and Heavy duty - 600 kg constant load. I made the mistake of going with the soft springs and had to upgrade them to the comfort ride which cost me an extra AUD $100 (say £50) as they had an extra leaf in them. No wanted to sell me the heavy duty ones unless I was a bricky who carried really heavy loads all the time. Over there, you might find it harder to get swapped stuff over.

It is frustrating for us to see people overseas to be quoted prices lower than we can buy at in the country of origin. :( Go for it Marnius!
rodw

Postby Marneus on Tue, 07 Jul 2009 5:21 +0000

Thanks Rod, I've looked through the catalogue I was emailed by the TJM dealer & the medium springs are what I'll need as my truck is normally loaded with about 100kg's of tools + all the nuts, bolts & fixings that I need for work.
The front springs are rated at 250kg - GVW of vehicle, the front of my truck will be standard for a while but I eventually want to get an ARB winch bumper. Would these springs be ok or should I opt for the OME Prado 884 springs?
Spring rates still confuse me, I know I could ask the dealer about this but I like to go in informed so they can't pull the wool over my eyes & get me to buy something that isn't what I want. Swapping things like springs would be a pain in the a@$e over here & I'd probably have to buy new springs instead of swapping them.
Marneus

Postby rodw on Tue, 07 Jul 2009 5:52 +0000

Sounds like you would be OK on the rear, my canopy weighs about 80 kg. Don't be too conmcerned about rear lift if it is not as high as you expect as the springs should give you better control so it will bottom out less or as much.

At the front, I just went the HD ones as I had a bar and winch. Not sure on the specifics but as a guide, the bar and winch pulled the stock suspension down about 15mm so expect the bar to reduce your height by maybe 10mm. They HD ones might be too much with just a bar in place and darn right uncomfortable with no bar. Can you get TJM bar work over there? They make a good bar much lke the ARB one, maybe you could get a deal on a suspension/bar package so you can get the suspension matched from the beginning.

Check out the TJM Hilux brochure http://www.tjm.com.au/Portals/0/Brochur ... 5hilux.pdf
rodw

Return to Suspension