for the guys with 2in lift kits

Re: for the guys with 2in lift kits

Postby eggylux on Fri, 14 Nov 2008 7:34 +0000

Hi Guys,
not long joined this forum and amazed at how mush info is here. I have new 2008 upgrade hilux dcab diesel, TJm T13 winch bar, tmax 9000 winch, dual batt,lightforce XGT's uniden uh15 uhf and cooper 265/70/15 ATR's.
I need to get some suspension done to front end as it after 3000k it has sagged to 685mm. Rear is still sitting at 775 with ling range half full.
I want to know if anyone has just changed the front out and left rear for another time and if any probs were encountered with doing this.
Most suspension people I have talked to want to sell me a whole kit front and rear. I talked to a bloke at one of tjhe spring mobs and he says just put a set of hd kings and run the standard lux strut- any comments please.
Only considering front change and not rear because rig is still so new and dont/can't want to waste cash if not needed.
Main driving will be commuting around central qld roads with the annual trip back into the gulf country.
I have only had cruisers previously so want to learn as mucgh as I can about my new hilux, this seems to be the right place.
Any hepl appreciated.Thanks
Eggy.
eggylux

Postby KTM525EXC on Fri, 14 Nov 2008 7:44 +0000

hey eggy
yeah heaps of the guys here have just upgraded the front and left the rear stock. if i were you i would replace both spring and shock because if you just replace the spring they can over extend the strut causing faliure also replacing the strut gives you more travel because there desigened for lifted applications.
hope this helps.
Troy
D4D THE WAY TO BE!!!!!!
KTM if it's not orange, its a lemon
KTM's Kick Arse Buildup
KTM525EXC

Postby eggylux on Fri, 14 Nov 2008 7:58 +0000

Thanks Troy,
thanks for the info, just wondering what you went with in the front, have read plenty already one more combo wont hurt. Also does the front still stay lower than back after settle down. And last of all is it worth changing rear shocks at time front is done for ride purposes.
Once again thanks
Eggy.
eggylux

Postby Brookster on Fri, 14 Nov 2008 8:06 +0000

Eggy,
I got the heavy duty OME suspension pre-delivery through ARB 'cause I had bullbar and winch fitted at the same time. When I test drove hiluxes, they didn't compare too well handling-wise with Navaras and BT 50's. I tow and carry around 200-400 kg. The OME springs and shocks have made a significant difference to the drivability of the hilux loaded and unloaded. The lift is not too excessive to keep it legal (in victoria max. 50mm) and not to stress independent front end on hilux (Drive-shaft angles etc..). I'm not up with other manufacturers but I'm sure TJM and other quality suppliers offer decent similar products. The back end of the hilux is more supple with the suspension upgrade, so ideally upgrading front and rear is a better option; I'd definitely upgrade the front to cope with the bar and winch. I agree with Troy regarding the strut/ spring combo; the aftermarket units are designed to work as a whole unit; shock and spring; travel and tuning.
Simon
IF A MAN TALKS IN THE FOREST AND THERE IS NO WOMAN TO HEAR HIM, IS HE STILL WRONG?
Brookster

Postby KTM525EXC on Fri, 14 Nov 2008 8:09 +0000

i have bilstein struts with ironman coils ive had 2 extra grooves machined in the strut totaling 5 grooves to give me a 3 inch lift. with a 2 inch front lift it should level out quite nicely for you, with a 3 inch you would aiming at the moon lol its realy up 2 you with the rear, if your not changing the leaves i would leave the same shockies in there. mind you its up 2 you. in saying that im glad i did the rear as well as the front for the extra flex and handles corragations better than standard.
Cheers Troy
D4D THE WAY TO BE!!!!!!
KTM if it's not orange, its a lemon
KTM's Kick Arse Buildup
KTM525EXC

Postby Alby on Sat, 15 Nov 2008 12:48 +0000

I put the Bilsteins in as well, lifted the front but only replaced the rear shocks leaving the standard leaves as I don't carry any weight, I agree with Troy the rear rides heaps better with upgraded rear shocks. The truck sits level now as well instead of the standard drooping front end.

Alby
On the internet you can be anything you want. It is strange that so many people choose to be stupid!
Alby

Postby tasibrett on Sat, 15 Nov 2008 2:15 +0000

I am, as of yesterday another with Bilsteins in the front with EFS HDEs springs. On the middle grove (of 3) they are 25mm longer than the standard ones. But looks like I will have to replace the rear shocks as well after reading this.
My wife say's I am not completely useless, I can serve as a bad example for others
tasibrett

Postby eggylux on Sat, 15 Nov 2008 3:52 +0000

Thanks guy's fpr all the info, has been very informative. I am going to Brisbane at the end of the month and will get an upgrade there. Still not sure whether to upgrade both ends, but will have made tge decision by then, more than likely EFS as I have a good quote on a full kit.
Thanks again
Eggy.
eggylux

Postby wat700 on Sat, 15 Nov 2008 6:38 +0000

G'day Eggy,

It all really depends on what you are trying to achieve. If you just want to return to your standard ride height you could get away with just a heavier duty set of coils up front. Given the set up you have (bar, winch etc) I'd respectfully suggest you go a brand of coils with a wire diameter of 18mm.

If you want to improve your ride and handling and or ground clearance I'd suggest a full kit or at least replacement coils and shocks/struts.

Also keep in mind that if you lift the front you may end up higher in the front than the rear.

For the record I recently got a 2 inch lift kit fitted from The Ultimate Suspension. I'm very happy with it, certainly the ride and handling is far better than standard, and it has fixed the front end sag caused by my bar and winch.

Cheers,

Watto
wat700

Postby rodw on Sun, 16 Nov 2008 3:25 +0000

Eggy, I put the Tough Dog 9 way adjustable kit in a fortnight ago and had my frst off road run on the weekend. Very happy with it, Lifted the front 75mm and rear 30mm. I have a bull bar, winch and dual battery up front. The bar and winch had dropped the stock springs 15mm, so I got that back and more! Toughdog is not the cheapest, about $2450. All of the shops I spoke to favoured Tough Dog over TJM's, Ironman and a few others. Was not keen on OME due to sagging issues and felt that the Bilsteins were not really what I wanted becasue I did the complete kit so would have run them at the stock height position.
rodw

Postby Brookster on Sun, 16 Nov 2008 5:43 +0000

Rodw, I was a bit worried about the ome suspension sagging after reading a thread a few months ago with hilux owners expressing dissatisfication about sagging front ends; I was waiting for delivery with ome kit fitted through dealer. When the car arrived, I measured the heights and noted that the front springs and struts were Prado hd which haven't moved more than approx 5mm after 3 months. I think I remember reading that Prado springs are heavier wire than the Hilux coils. Regardless, I think any of the reputable aftermarket brands give superior ride and handling to the standard factory springs/shocks. It depends on what emphasis you want with your truck as to what brand will best suit the purpose. I wanted load carrying capacity, a mild lift and good on-road handling, and I can't fault the ome kit so far.
IF A MAN TALKS IN THE FOREST AND THERE IS NO WOMAN TO HEAR HIM, IS HE STILL WRONG?
Brookster

Postby rodw on Sun, 16 Nov 2008 6:01 +0000

Done about 1500km's in my Tough Dogs now and one offroad trip over the weekend. Has not moved of 760mm I measured the day I picked her up. Same as Jogal.
rodw

Postby rodw on Sun, 16 Nov 2008 6:06 +0000

Whoops, did not really read Brookster's post. I agree, Lift is not everything. A mild lift with more controlled travel than the factory ones will also be much better in real world off road conditions even if it is not much higher becasue it won't bottom out as much.
rodw

Postby rockman on Mon, 17 Nov 2008 3:24 +0000

rodw wrote:Done about 1500km's in my Tough Dogs now and one offroad trip over the weekend. Has not moved of 760mm I measured the day I picked her up. Same as Jogal.

Same here , i've had T/D in mine now for around about a year . It's sitting the same height as what it was when we first put it in .

Cheers
"Naked man walking through airport door sideways is going to Bangkok."
rockman

Postby eggylux on Thu, 20 Nov 2008 4:21 +0000

Hi again ,
have decided to go with kings hd and billy's in front. Bayside is going to reset my rear std springs. Not sure whether to go the billies at rear at the cost or to put blue max in for considerably less dollars. Has anyone got any idea what the difference in ride/performance will be billies over bluemax. Any feed back appreciated on this.
Thanks Eggy
ps Pirate pete give me a call.
eggylux

Postby rodw on Thu, 20 Nov 2008 7:02 +0000

Same here , i've had T/D in mine now for around about a year

Hey Rockman, what T/D leaves did you settle on? I got a feeling the comfort ones I picked are a bit light for my use, But they sure do ride nice!
rodw

Postby omergin on Tue, 17 Mar 2009 5:33 +0000

hi guys,
i am undecided for my friends hilux.. he has got wich and second battery and he want 50mm lift in front.. so ome 884 are suitable for him? or they are too hard for this weight?
suspension will be n167s..
omergin

Postby joshmackay23 on Sun, 13 Mar 2011 6:37 +0000

SKOG where abouts did you get those spring compressors? :?: great job.

josh
Understate and Over Deliver
joshmackay23

Postby joshmackay23 on Mon, 14 Mar 2011 5:41 +0000

BUMP. anyone found decent spring compressors that will fit our coils? i have tried two brands from auto barn and both dont fit very well.?

thanks josh!
Understate and Over Deliver
joshmackay23

Postby Skog07 on Mon, 14 Mar 2011 7:16 +0000

joshmackay23 wrote:SKOG where abouts did you get those spring compressors? :?: great job.

josh

Hi Josh.
Sorry for the delayed response. Used two sets of spring compressors to compress the spring. They both didnt fit that well and only clamped partially on the spring. I can give you the brand as I borrowed them from my local mechanic..
Id suggest get them done using a press as the potiential for injury is high... I was very nervous when using these compressors.
Cheers
Mark
Skog07

PreviousNext

Return to Suspension