Air bags, extra leaves or helper springs?

Re: Air bags, extra leaves or helper springs?

Postby WinM70 on Thu, 24 Sep 2009 3:16 +0000

An interesting thread with some good advice fellas, I am looking at a lift aswell but due to carrying around all my work gear (around the 300kg mark) I would assume that heavy springs all round would dislodge my kidneys when the ute is unloaded for a bush trip........... now thinking of more of a comfort setting for the rears with bags to help carry around the work gear. Would this make sense?
Cheers,
Lee.
Last edited by WinM70 on Thu, 24 Sep 2009 2:59 +0000, edited 1 time in total.
Keeping Australia beautiful, one feral at a time.
WinM70

Postby crosssport on Thu, 24 Sep 2009 6:52 +0000

Be cautious with fitting air bags, once the load is taken by the air bag all load is then put on the chassis where they mount. I've seen quite a few utes that end up cracking the chassis due to this.
If you carry 300kg constant for work then I'd go the 300kg to gvm springs, you won't find it to harsh when empty.
DETERMINATION.....THERE IS NO TRYING...THERE IS ONLY DOING OR NOT DOING!
crosssport

Postby rodw on Thu, 24 Sep 2009 7:04 +0000

Jack, the airbags are really to do with being able to adjust your springs to suit the load and Norm C explains how to use them well. You are far better off getting the springs right for normal travel and add air abags down the track if you need heavy load. There are a lot of things to spend your money on before you need to worry about airbags.

Fully loaded, no trailer I'd say my loads is right up there with Norm C and Macca. With the Tough Dog springs I was fine when I went to Moreton Island with 130 litres of water, 20 litres of Diesel and enough fiirewood for a week. Not to mention the beer and all the other stuff cos we don't slum it these days when we go camping! I will say though I did a fair bit of low range work on the way in due to the load and hardly any on the way out!

However, having read this post, I might consider adding the Firestone bags if I did the Kimberleys. Some mates just came back and all but destroyed trucks, trailers and caravans by the time they got home.... None of them will take a trailer on such a trip again...
rodw

Postby WinM70 on Thu, 24 Sep 2009 2:44 +0000

crosssport wrote:Be cautious with fitting air bags, once the load is taken by the air bag all load is then put on the chassis where they mount. I've seen quite a few utes that end up cracking the chassis due to this.
If you carry 300kg constant for work then I'd go the 300kg to gvm springs, you won't find it to harsh when empty.

Thanks crossport, makes sense.
Cheers,
Lee.
Keeping Australia beautiful, one feral at a time.
WinM70

Postby Jack S on Thu, 24 Sep 2009 3:32 +0000

okey so go the new springs first to get lift and depending on what happens later on go the air bags than to carry extra weight??
Jack S

Postby Alby on Thu, 24 Sep 2009 6:45 +0000

Jack S wrote:okey so go the new springs first to get lift and depending on what happens later on go the air bags than to carry extra weight??

Mate you will find that there are only a handful of guys on this site that have found the need to go to airbags so there is a good chance you will not need them. If you get someone who knows what they are doing they will set up your springs to accommodate the load that you carrying properly.
On the internet you can be anything you want. It is strange that so many people choose to be stupid!
Alby

Postby Jack S on Thu, 24 Sep 2009 7:06 +0000

no well by the sounds of it i wont need air bags at all than!!
I wouldnt be doing too much 4x4 work, mostly road....
Jack S

Postby Jack S on Sun, 27 Sep 2009 2:22 +0000

so would i be beta off going new springs or just getting my stock ones reset and get a extra leaf for bit more weight??
Jack S

Postby Alby on Sun, 27 Sep 2009 4:40 +0000

Jack, there is nothing wrong with the quality of the existing springs, they just need to be beefed up with an extra leaf or two and reset for height.

I suppose it depends on where you are and whether it is easier for you to start again or work with what you got.

I don't know where you are situated by mine were reset at St Marys in Sydney.
On the internet you can be anything you want. It is strange that so many people choose to be stupid!
Alby

Postby Jack S on Sun, 27 Sep 2009 5:13 +0000

well i am bathurst, its the other side of the blue mountains, about 3 hours from cronulla....
40 minutes away is one of the best suspension re-builders this side of the mountains! he also deals with EFS so i might see what type of deal he can do me!

By looking at your profile, your basically got the same hilux as ive got.
so heres a few questions just for you and your more than welcome to private message me the answers.

- what brand of rims have you got?
- what was the price of your mickey thompson?
- how are the mickey thompson tyres? because i am looking at the ATZ 4-RIB 32"
- what was the price of the snorkel?

Thanks mate!!
Jack S

Postby Alby on Sun, 27 Sep 2009 7:35 +0000

Jack,

I reckon the go is to run with one of the popular suspension systems that a reputable local installer uses, that way you will get backup support later if needed.
Better to establish you trucks final weight (bar or winch?) and how much weight you will be carrying around in your tray so that you can get it setup correctly the first time rather than spending hard earned getting it re adjusted later.

My rims are Dick Cepek DC1 and the rubber was about $330 a corner. I love my MTZ's but if you want a tyre more for the black top there are probably more suitable tyres. I don't know much about the ATZ 4 ribs but do a search on this site as i recall there was some discussion here about them previously.
My snorkel was fitted by ARB, I can't remember but I think it was about $1700 fitted , not sure though.

Ah decisions decisions :?
Alby

Postby KTM525EXC on Sun, 27 Sep 2009 8:01 +0000

Alby wrote:My snorkel was fitted by ARB, I can't remember but I think it was about $1700 fitted , not sure though.

WOW thats more than a locker lol something not right there Alby lol ;)
D4D THE WAY TO BE!!!!!!
KTM if it's not orange, its a lemon
KTM's Kick Arse Buildup
KTM525EXC

Postby tasibrett on Sun, 27 Sep 2009 8:42 +0000

I have the probag air bags, with in cab controls . I went this way as I found my landcruser when empty, which has new (100kms now) springs with one extra leaf, has a tendency to skip around a lot more at the back when the gravel roads need grading .I never got bothered by it till it got the new springs.
A great thing with the airbags is you can adjust your headlights to get them right when loaded.
I also left the bags fully blown up when I wasn't driving it for the first month and now the rear sits back up like it is brand new with no air in the bags.
My wife say's I am not completely useless, I can serve as a bad example for others
tasibrett

Postby Jack S on Mon, 28 Sep 2009 8:47 +0000

well lot of guys have said to get Tough Dog yet lot of other peolpe have said to get EFS, both i can get at a pretty good price not far from where i live (40 min).

well its got a steel bull bar and a steel tray! Ive been quoted light duty for front and medium to heavy duty for the back..... ive aslo been told that as i still have stock suspension that the back leafs cant handle the extra weight of steel tray! Yet not too sure on what job ill have next year, saying this at the moment i never carry around any weight on the tray except for the odd occasion.

oh yea there the rims that ive been looking at, preety sweat aye? How much where the rims??

Also would i be better off getting new leafs OR just getting my stock ones reset and an extra leaf added??

Yes i agree there are a 'F' load of decisions!!
Jack S

Postby Alby on Mon, 28 Sep 2009 4:49 +0000

Jack
As I understand it , getting your existing leaves beefed up and reset or going for an off the shelf set is 'same same' The only difference is that you can have your existing set customised to suit your situation. I set my truck up with all of my gear and supplies that I carry and then had my springs done to accomodate that.

With regard to rims can't remember price as I have had them for two years and as you can see from my guess of what I paid for my snorkel my memory is a bit ordinary.
Alby

Postby Jack S on Mon, 28 Sep 2009 5:08 +0000

lol yes i was thinking the snorkel was bit dear, i got qouted one today instalation and everything for $600....

Ive been told that having your springs reset can cause them to sag quicker, yet that was off a sales rep trying to sell me new leafs!

just a quick question, When measuring the hight of hilux where do you measure to get the height?? Is it the bottom or rim to guard??

And how do you measure the back when its a steel tray?? Is it bottom of rim to the bottom of tray.....
Jack S

Postby Alby on Mon, 28 Sep 2009 9:03 +0000

Jack S wrote:just a quick question, When measuring the hight of hilux where do you measure to get the height?? Is it the bottom or rim to guard??

And how do you measure the back when its a steel tray?? Is it bottom of rim to the bottom of tray.....

Most measure from bottom of rim to brow of guard just remember to take into account your rim size when comparing heights to other vehicles. It is harder to check the rear with a tray as they vary from different manufacturers so use your front as a reference and then measure off the sills to make your sitting level
Alby

Postby Jack S on Tue, 29 Sep 2009 9:38 +0000

sorry but what do you mean by brow of guard??
is that the bottom of the guard....
Jack S

Postby Alby on Tue, 29 Sep 2009 2:33 +0000

Jack S wrote:sorry but what do you mean by brow of guard??
is that the bottom of the guard....

The highest part of the wheel arch
Alby

Postby Jack S on Tue, 29 Sep 2009 5:00 +0000

lol!!
got a picture to show me what you mean...
I am bit slow!!
Jack S

PreviousNext

Return to Suspension